[Cialug] SATA v. SCSI

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu May 11 21:00:23 CDT 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 16:37, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
>It boils down to this:  assuming you have a good SATA controller or a
> good SCSI controller, are the disk subsystems going to be on par with
> each other? Can SATA be seriously considered as a replacement for
> SCSI yet?

I was going to ask a question like this soon. One of the reasons that
i've been happy (until now) with my 8-year old computer is that it has
SCSI disks. The original 8-year old drive is still the main system
drive. It is very fast for its age, and never taxes the CPU (unlike
older IDE drives). What i was going to inquire about is if anyone has
experience with both SATA and SCSI, which seems more reliable and which
seems faster? SCSI has unfortunately not become much more affordable
over the years, but SATA drives have. If i have to go SCSI again for
good performance and reliability, i will, but i'd just as soon not
spend that much if i don't have to.