[Cialug] graphics accelerator

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Mon May 8 10:34:30 CDT 2006

I think the kernel installation issue basically boils down to a pathing
thing.  I think it might be possible to make a symlink to the driver
when doing a kernel update. However, I really hadn't had a chance to
play with it...

:) Dave

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 10:26, David Champion wrote:
> If you use a distribution that includes the nVidia drivers, you should
> be able to do a kernel update without any problems. I can do this with
> Mandriva (I think this may only be in the Powerpack edition, not in the
> Discovery edition that's free to everyone), and I'm sure others (maybe
> Suse?) do this as well.
>
> Ideally it would be nice if nVidia would release their driver as OSS,
> but they're not going to for business reasons. They do offer very good
> support for Linux drivers. If you use the version you download from
> nVidia's web site, you just run a script - it will go download the
> latest version, build the modules and you're good to go.
>
> BTW - the latest nVidia driver supports up to the GeForce 7900 cards.
> I'm just going to guess that Dan isn't in the market for a $500+ extreme
> gaming card, so anything in the "reasonable" price range should be
> supported.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8756.html
>
> -dc
>
> Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> > I'm using the nvidia driver on an old mx400 card with redhat enterprise
> > workstation 3.x without issue. I've never had a lockup or any other
> > problems.
> >
> > The only pita is that when I do a kernel update, I need to do a driver
> > update/reinstall too.
> >

> > On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 08:52, Jerry Heiselman wrote:
> >
> >>I agree with the nVidia assessment.  They may be closed-source for
> >>their drivers, but they seem to be willing to at least help out the
> >>open-source community.  I have never had any issues with nVidia in
> >>Linux, just make sure you get a bit older of a card.
> >>
> >>Jerry
> >>
> >>On 5/8/06, Nathan C. Smith <smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> >>        Don't be afraid of nVidia even if it is proprietary.  It works
> >>        well. (I
> >>        suppose that is what is on your Dell machine at work no that's
> >>        I've said
> >>        something nice about it)
> >>
> >>        Also, Matrox is still available - although they might be more
> >>        in the 2D
> >>        high-performance area.
> >>
> >>        Probably the best thing to do is find a card that is not too
> >>        new and has
> >>        good OpenG/L support?
> >>
> >>        -Nate

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606