[Cialug] graphics accelerator

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Mon May 8 09:10:16 CDT 2006

I'm using the nvidia driver on an old mx400 card with redhat enterprise
workstation 3.x without issue. I've never had a lockup or any other
problems.

The only pita is that when I do a kernel update, I need to do a driver
update/reinstall too.

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 08:52, Jerry Heiselman wrote:
> I agree with the nVidia assessment.  They may be closed-source for
> their drivers, but they seem to be willing to at least help out the
> open-source community.  I have never had any issues with nVidia in
> Linux, just make sure you get a bit older of a card.
>
> Jerry
>
> On 5/8/06, Nathan C. Smith <smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
>         Don't be afraid of nVidia even if it is proprietary.  It works
>         well. (I
>         suppose that is what is on your Dell machine at work no that's
>         I've said
>         something nice about it)
>
>         Also, Matrox is still available - although they might be more
>         in the 2D
>         high-performance area.
>
>         Probably the best thing to do is find a card that is not too
>         new and has
>         good OpenG/L support?
>
>         -Nate

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606