[Cialug] Ubuntu 6.06-beta2 (iBook)

Alan Maupin alan.maupin at mchsi.com
Tue May 2 23:31:05 CDT 2006

Just a short review on the new Ubuntu 6.06-beta2.

This weekend I decided to change the Linux distribution on my iBook G3
600 Mhz.  It was running 5.10 breezy.  I attempted to install Gentoo
2006.0, OpenSuSE 10.1-rc3,  Fedora Core 5, and FreeBSD 6, before
reverting back to Ubuntu.

Bottomline up front:  Ubuntu just works (everything -- all hardware).

It was the only distribution that was basically plug and play including
audio and airport wireless.  The 6.06-beta2 is a large improvement over
5.10 in those areas.   It found all of the network shares in my mixed
Windows and OSX environment without any prodding or fiddling with SMB.

Conclusion:  6.06-beta2 is running solidly on my iBook. And, with the
Amaranth Sterling Silver Theme combined with the SphereCrystal Theme
details it is as aesthetically pleasing as OSX, in my opinion.

Highly recommended for the 600 Mhz G3 iBook.