[Cialug] OT: forum harassment

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Thu Mar 23 08:09:46 CST 2006

I wonder if this would actually qualify as "online stalking".
I dunno if there is such a thing, but obviously it has become personal,
with this person going to great lengths to take some cheaps shots at
you.

:) Dave

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 08:01, Tony Bibbs wrote:
> Ok, it's gotten worse, he's now using any of the available free proxies
> he can get a hold of.  Any other ideas?
>
> Here's the latest quotable tidbit
>
> "Gotta admit Tony and company and I'm one pesky SOB when crossed out of
> curiousoity would the statement that black people love chicken be racist
> too? Cause thats a true statement too and no black person will think
> it's racist"
>
> --Tony
>
> Tony Bibbs wrote:
> > Yeah, we have very clear rules:
> >
> > http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/staticpages/index.php/Rules
> >
> > He earned the ban with this:
> >
> > "I hate carp, but if you like them please give me them away or fertilize
> > your garden with them and protect our diverse eco system and yes if you
> > see any asians or latinos, they will be happy to take the carp off your
> > hands."
> >
> > I wouldn't jump so far as to call the guy racist but at the very least
> > he's stereotyping TWO entire races.  In the meantime I'm trying to get a
> > hold of US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales...according to this guy,
> > I've got some fresh carp he'd take off my hands.  What a tool.
> >
> > --Tony
> >

> > Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> >>
> >> If you have clear forum guidelines that he clearly broke, that will go
> >> a long way to help show that he has been properly banned. If you don't
> >> have any guidelines, then I suggest you write some up. Just my 2 cents
> >> worth. Those guidelines would be helpful in creating that
> >> cease-and-desist letter. It also shows that you are not being
> >> arbitrary in banning his comments.
> >>
> >> Another avenue could be to see if you can mobilize other users in the
> >> forum to create positive peer pressure to help him see his actions are
> >> not helping his standing with the community in the forum. If this is
> >> done in a positive way, then it can help offset anything he does say
> >> and make it clear that he does not speak for the forum and his view is
> >> a minority view.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Stuart

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606