[Cialug] System boot halts at "Filesystem is NOT clean"

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Tue Mar 7 11:10:03 CST 2006

Chris Hettinger wrote:
>  > Was syslog logging locally or to a remote machine?
>  > Do you know if there was anything unusual in the logs before you
> rebooted it?
>
> Likely locally, this box hadn't had much done to it other than an
> install a few months ago. It was booted recently to be moved, but not
> given the monitor or anything. It very well may have halted on the first
> boot as far as I know.
>
>  > There appears to be some disk corruption.
>
> That was my fear.
>
>  > Do you have physical access to the box?
>
> Yes I do.
>
>  > You may need to boot off of a CD.
>
> I'll have to go that route.

I'm assuming this is one of your Mandriva systems? You should be able to
boot off the install CD, I believe there's an option like "Hit F1 for
more options", then at the prompt type "rescue".

There's a rescue menu, with options to fix your boot loader and stuff...
I don't recall if there's a check file systems option, but you can exit
to a shell and run the "reiserfsck /dev/<partition>"

-dc