[Cialug]apt-get errors

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Thu Mar 2 09:58:18 CST 2006

I've spent the last week fixing half a dozen friends computers that use
an isp I won't mention (dybb.com) that changed there DNS servers and
failed to notify some of their customers...

I guess they are happy they have me for free tech support -or not...

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 08:59, Jerry Heiselman wrote:
> Yeah, Mediacom recently just switched name servers and decomissioned
> the old ones (and their IPs).  Don't know why they, but they must have
> had their reasons.
>
> On 3/2/06, Barry Von Ahsen <barry at vonahsen.com> wrote:
>         I had the namservers i got from mediacom quit working recently
>         (I had
>         hard-coded them in /etc/resolv.conf based on what I got from
>         dhcp when I
>         first set up the box, but that was two yers ago), so I just
>         replaced
>         them with known good servers.  that fixed my problem
>
>         -barry
>

>         Dan Hockey wrote:
>         > I've tried some the suggestions here and then some. I tried
>         to use
>         > 205.152.191.39 which was mirrors.kernel.org which still
>         didn't work.
>         > After digging some more I found I can ping all my internal
>         computers
>         > from the debian box  but nothing outside my network. This
>         doesn't make
>         > sense  because all my other computers ping the outside would
>         just
>         > fine.This is starting to look like a networking problem on
>         the debian
>         > box, but now I'm lost on what to look for next.
>         > has anyone else messed up debian this bad?
>         > -dh
>         >
>         > Mark Hesseltine wrote:
>         >
>         >> I've had pretty good luck using apt-spy prior to running
>         apt-get. That
>         >> way, if your regular server is down, you can easily find
>         another one.
>         >>
>         >> On 3/1/06, Anthony Jeffries <ajeffri at loopysite.org> wrote:
>         >>
>         >>
>         >>> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 08:49:34AM -0600, Barry Von Ahsen
>         wrote:
>         >>>
>         >>>> or switch to or add a more local mirror
>         >>>>
>         >>>> I have good luck and good speed from debian.uchicago.edu
>         >>>>
>         >>>> you can run apt-setup to add a new source, and if one is
>         down it will
>         >>>> try the next
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>> I have good luck with mirrors.kernel.org.
>         >>>
>         >>> --
>         >>> Tony Jeffries
>         >>> ajeffri at loopysite.org
>         >>> Amateur Radio N0NRO
>         >>> _______________________________________________
>         >>> Cialug mailing list
>         >>> Cialug at cialug.org
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>
>         >>
>         >> --
> [...]

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606