[Cialug] Cannot retrieve mail through internal nework

Chris Van Cleve vanish at dreamscapevisionery.com
Fri Jun 30 11:38:32 CDT 2006

I decided to rebuild an old 1.2 GHz P4 box as a linux server to host
my family web site and email. Since I was in an adventurous mood, I
installed Ubuntu to try it out. (Love it, btw. Finally a usable
Debian. ;) ) I am having two problems with it though, one of which
I'm hoping the Linux Geniuses here can help me figure out.

The box is running Postfix because I'm used to it, and I think it's
the best mail server. It's working flawlessly. My router is
configured to forward ports 25 and 110 to that box. Using Webmin, I
am able to send an receive email just fine. Everything sounds good,
right? Here's the catch:

I have 4 other PCs on my home network, all of which are configured to
use my home domain for email. None of these machines, through various
clients, is able to connect to the Ubuntu box. I am getting denial
messages for port 110 and port 25 when trying to receive/send mail
respectively. I thought at first it was a resolution problem (and
spent a good chunk of time playing with host files), but all 4 PCs
correctly reach the box's webmin interface using the domain name.

Any ideas?

Chris VC