[Cialug] SLES9 and 3w9500

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at etrumeus.com
Sat Jun 24 20:54:52 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 10:31:56AM -0500, jcbailey at code0.net wrote:
> I'm having performance problems with this setup and it seems to be distro
> specific. On the same controller (3w9500S-4LP) and system, under Ubuntu
> (default install, auto-detected controller), the load average is about 7
> while being beaten with bonnie++ in writing and about 2-3 while reading.
> The system remains responsive.
>
> On SLES9, I'm using the binary driver from 3ware (9.3.0.4). The load
> average while using bonnie++ is 16+ and the load average while writing is
> 7+.
>
> Anyone run into this or have any thoughts? Thanks!

Nothing specific, but just by way of general brainstorming, I
wonder what the two kernels are, what the modules or built-in
drivers are.  Can you run the userland of the one with the
kernel and modules of the other (should only take copying the
vmlinuz, initrd, and /lib/modules/kernel-foo/ directories into
the appropriate places, and setting the boot loader up)?

--
D. Joe Anderson        http://www.etrumeus.com/~deejoe
deejoe at etrumeus.com