[Cialug] RedHat ES & scsi tape

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Mon Jun 12 15:15:15 CDT 2006

Anyone running RedHat ES 4 and using scsi tape drives?

Under Mandriva, this all works just fine. I've been using scsi tapes for
years, so this isn't a n00b issue.

I've "upgraded" the server hardware, and put the same scsi card & tape
drive in the new server. In RH ES, there's no /dev/st0 device. I've
tried doing a "modprobe aic7xxx" (which is the correct driver for my
card) and "modprobe st", but it doesn't create the /dev/st0 device, and
/proc/scsi/scsi doesn't show my tape drive.

RedHat's KB and various google searches haven't been too helpful. Some
suggest that I might have to build a custom kernel - to get something as
common as a scsi tape to work?

Any ideas?

-dc