[Cialug] Reliably troubleshooting latency issues

Jeff Davis ewenixgeek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 15:34:27 CDT 2006

Hi all,

I've having some issues using traceroute and ping when trying to
troubleshoot problems between my network and a client network.  A
recent specific problem is trying to pinpoint the cause of latency for
website users.

With ISPs and backbone providers prioritizing traffic, a traceroute
has become someone unreliable in that there can appear to be a problem
where there really isn't one.

I'm looking for another tool I can use to get the same net effect of
traceroute but not have my traffic reduced to low priority routing.

Any suggestions (other than writing my own tool, I'm considering it)
would be great.

-Jeff Davis