[Cialug] uptime

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Fri Jul 7 16:16:05 CDT 2006

On Friday 07 July 2006 15:23, D. Joe Anderson wrote:
>Heh.  I thought one needed to reboot, too, but kept my mouth
>shut on this one for a while because for a time there was a
>project I saw referred to as "two-kernel monte" that would allow
>you to start a new kernel from a running one.  That was back in
>the 2.4 days, at least, maybe earlier, and I hadn't heard much
>about it since.  I thought it was defunct, but then you never
>know.  LVM hit a rough patch there for a while, and now it seems
>to be common enough, for example.
>
>Anyway, my expectation is that even with something like that
>going, the uptime counter would reset anyway.

I remember hearing about that as well. If i remember correctly, it would
basically load the new kernel into memory, make the new one take over
operations of the old kernel, then remove the old kernel. Both kernels
had to have been compiled with the proper extension to make it happen,
though. And i don't think it could be loaded as a module.

One thing that i've thought is that perhaps if the system undergoes a
scheduled reboot that it should write the uptime to a file and then
when the system boots reload the old uptime and continue keeping time
from there. What is really important for most machines is not how long
it has been since last reboot, but how long it has been since the last
*unscheduled* reboot. I'm not sure how all the details would work to
make this happen. I would guess that some kernel code would have to be
modified to allow setting the uptime value on boot. And some other
system changes would be necessary. For example, if you used "at",
"cron" or "shutdown -t" to schedule a reboot, then the uptime would
have to be written somewhere in /var. On boot, if the uptime file was
present the uptime would have to be read and the file deleted. There is
probably a better way; i just thought of this. But i've wondered why no
one has done such a thing (of if they have why it isn't more widely
known since lots of people like high uptimes). The big downside, of
course, is that you'd have someone who would mess with the uptime
statistic and have a machine that reports a 30 year uptime! Which would
be kind of neat, but would make one start to question the value of
keeping uptime statistics at all.