[Cialug] How the Internet works

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Mon Jul 3 19:46:22 CDT 2006

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Claus wrote:
> It's not about whether or not the amendment is reasonable.  Its about the
> attitude of the posts.  Knee jerk reactions like that only cause more harm.
> Here is a senator that needs the expertise from people like you, yet you call
> him an idiot.  This doesn't foster any communications, instead positions the
> senator more solid with the telecom lobbyists.
> The mistakes he made during the speech are quite common throughout the normal
> population.  There is always the notion that someone has to have invented the
> Internet, that one is using the Internet, that one can buy it and that it's
> free.  The Internet is a bunch of different things to different people and
> there isn't one exact definition, not even within the IT world.  But it
> really doesn't matter.  We all know that the Internet he got was an email
> message.  What matters is that he like millions of other people want to get
> their email to arrive reliably and fast.  While the opponents promise that
> they will, we tell him he's an idiot.  Good job!

It's one thing to not know and stay quiet, it's another thing to not know
and ask questions, it's an entirely different thing to not know and tell
everyone how much you know!

Senators don't position themselves with lobbyists because someone hurt
their feelings. If that bothered them, they wouldn't have run for office
in the first place. I'm unable to find the site now that contains the
donor information for Senators, but I did see that so far this year AT&T
has spent $1.3 million on lobbying.

His aw shucks act misleads people into thinking that their email is slow
because AT&T can't charge Google extra for all the bandwidth they get for
free. The best part of the BS show is that the tier 1 carriers that are
whining and moaning don't pay for IP transit like Google or tier 2 and
tier 3 providers do!

dave