[Cialug] How the Internet works

Claus cniesen at gmx.net
Mon Jul 3 08:36:34 CDT 2006

First of all you have to remember that Senators have to deal with all
kinds of issues, not just IT.  So it's very difficult for them to be an
expert on everything.  If you listen to the audio you'd know that right
away.

While he did get some things incorrect, he also had several things
correct.  While he wasn't the smoothest speaker, he voiced a valid
concern.  It is hard for us to overhear the little mistakes like
"sending the Internet" and such and focus on the real concern.

All what I hear is bashing by us but nobody stepped up and tried to
clarify things and argue for or against it with solid and easy to
understand reasons.  In a democracy it is our duty as citizens to stay
informed in politics and elect and vote intelligently when called upon.
  As technological experts it's our duty to advice our political
representatives.  For this list it would be fully appropriate, with the
proper subject line, to discuss the amendment intension while bashing
people shouldn't be.

The part that makes me sick are the people that make just make fun of
them but don't contribute anything useful.  Such behavior is extremely
low and just plain destructive.  Who wants to serve in a public office
or voice their opinions just so others make fun of you?

   Claus