[Cialug] Using DD to copy hard drive

Aaron Thompson aaron.thompson at uni.edu
Mon Jan 30 11:27:09 CST 2006

It probably also depends if the speed and setup of the drives, if DMA is
enabled, and the if the planets are aligned properly...

Out of curiosity - why not manually partition the disk and use something
like rsync,tar, or cpio? Why dd?

@

Dave Weis wrote:

> More in hours. I copied a 60 gig drive in less than an hour, but
> different hardware.
>
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
>
>> Egads, no wonder.
>>
>> Are you still looking at a day when you use the 1 meg block size or a lot
>> less?  On the order of an hour or less?

Aaron Thompson                  Assistant Oracle Database Administrator
http://www.uni.edu/~prefect/                University of Northern Iowa

"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught
and shot now." -Douglas Adams