[Cialug] RHEL install Inspiron 9300

Nathaniel Petersen major.stubble at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:40:52 CST 2006

Not an X server issue.

There is a problem with most of the latest Dell equipment with this
issue.  Even the Debian installer will get that 'weird' video issue.
While I am not willing to wager without further research, I found that
adding the "vga=791" to the boot options will resolve the text-based
install.  No work has been down with the graphical install to know if
this resolves the graphical install.

The avenue that I wish to explore is if the video adapters for the
Dell Inspiron and Optiplex series have a higher 'default' video
resolution.  I know with the Optiplex that had this problem, the LCD
was using the DVI connection and was reporting a signal equal to the
native resolution.

Dave, do you mind letting me know what the hardware specs are on your Inspiron?

-Nick