[Cialug] EIP Value

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Jan 19 10:35:20 CST 2006

I can't tell you what the likely culprit is, but instead of moving them
in and out I suggest the following:

1) Remove all cards and try the live CD.
2a) If this does not solve the problem, replace your CMOS battery, reset
BIOS to defaults, and retry.
2b) If this does solve the problem, add the cards in one by one and
test.
3a) If this does not solve the problem start disable all on-board items
in BIOS.
3b) If this does solve the problem, put all the cards back in and test
again
4a) If this does not solve the problem, get a new mother board.
4b) If this does solve the problem, start enabling items one by one and
testing them.

Hope this helps,

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net
515-245-7701

>>>sthiessen at passitonservices.org 01/19/06 9:34 am >>>

I took out the network card and the EIP error is still there.

It is before the BIOS driver is detected and just after the
autoconfiguring of devices. This is a Linux bootable CD that has
imaging software setup. I just used it on another Windows computer and
started working on a generic home-built computer that we had donated
to us.  I wanted to back up the partition of this other clone computer
before playing around with it so I could restore it if needed. It has
Win 98 with some files. We had used it for any odds and ends Windows
stuff. Now, I am planning to put Linux on it, but I wanted to be able
to restore it to Win98 if needed.

But if I can't seem to get it up with a CD Linux, how would a regular
work? :)

Anyway, it seems to be related to modprobe.old. It has EFLAGS then a
set of values for eax, ebx, ecx, edx, esi, edi, dbp, esp, ds, es, ss.
Then mentions Process modprobe.old Then Stack: with 8x3 matrix of hex
values and then a Call Trace section with Code: Bad EIP value after it.

The NIC is out.  I have a video card, TV card, sound card, and SCSI
card still in the system. Would you guys have any idea which is most
likely to be the problem?  If not, I will just move them in and out to
see what happens.

Thanks,

Stuart

On Jan 19, 2006, at 9:14, Paul Gray wrote:

>Cialug mailing list
>Cialug at cialug.org

Cialug mailing list
Cialug at cialug.org