[Cialug] VPN for a client

Jeff Davis jeff at dynamictelecard.com
Wed Jan 18 08:54:45 CST 2006

Sounds like m0n0wall would be a decent fit for a VPN box.
Its FreeBSD based but has a gui so you don't even need
any command line experience to operate it.
http://m0n0.ch/wall/

You put it on your network and the remote users VPN into
it and can then (for the most part) use network resources
just as if they were plugged into the LAN.

All you need an old box with a few NICs in it, a CD rom and a floppy drive.
You just put the m0n0wall cd in and a floppy and boot it up.
The first time you'll have to set up the NICs (i.e. which is LAN and WAN)
and set up the PPTP VPN users.  (i.e. give them a username and password)
and a few other pretty basic things (hostname, IP, etc.)

All the config stuff is stored on the floppy, so if you have a hardware
failure pretty much any old box will do.  Upgrading is as simple as
burning the new ISO from the m0n0wall site, putting the cd in the drive
and rebooting the box.

For the client end, you can set up a PPTP VPN shortcut on the windows
machine with no extra hardware/software required.

(Cable and DSL users will need to make sure
 their modem/router is set to do VPN pass-thru.)

Oh...and m0n0wall is free.

Some other options you might consider are Astaro Security Linux which
is free to home users (might want to ask about non-profit use) and SmoothWall.

http://www.astaro.com/
http://www.smoothwall.org/

-Jeff