[Cialug] Linux Desktop

Jerry Heiselman jweida at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 10:57:05 CST 2006

I have used FreeBSD in the past and found it very usable for the average joe
as a desktop/multimedia system.  Some key multimedia software that does not
come in the ports collection can be difficult to compile due to the system
differences, but most things that a user will want to do (watch DVDs/Movies,
listen to music, watch slideshows, etc...) work just fine.

Something like MythTV, on ther other hand, while it does come as a port, may
still be somewhat buggy.  I have found that anything Java based is very
buggy since Java is really just a hack on the BSD systems.

Jerry