[Cialug] NEC MobilePro 790 free to a good home

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 23:41:51 CST 2006

I'm offering up the MobilePro Josh gave away at the last meeting.  I
took it apart and put it back together.  My assesment is that the LCD
display itself has died and needs to be replaced.  It looks like you
can purchase replacement displays online for about $175.  It also
needs a new battery.  Those go for around $40.  These little computers
are going for around $1000 brand new.  (All prices from Froogle).

It powers up and makes noises (clicks when you press any key and a
"startup sound" when you do either a soft or hard reset), so I'm
pretty sure it still works -- just no display and abysmal battery
life.  It does have a VGA out port on the side, but there was no cable
in the box.  WinCE is installed on it now, but there is a method for

I offer my assistance (non-financial, of course) replacing the display
if the new owner requests it.  It wasn't too hard to figure out, but
why work harder than you have to?  ;)

later,
kristau
--