[Cialug] OT: Daydreaming out loud

John Roach jroach at eastersealsia.org
Wed Jan 4 13:05:08 CST 2006

From: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/04/google_denies_pc/

Google has quashed a rumor that it plans to enter the ultra low-margin
PC business. The denial will surprise few given the speculative nature
of the original LA Times piece that made the Google PC claim.

In a 2006 technology predictions story, the Times declared, "Sources say
Google has been in negotiations with Wal-Mart Stores Inc., among other
retailers, to sell a Google PC. The machine would run an operating
system created by Google, not Microsoft's Windows, which is one reason
it would be so cheap - perhaps as little as a couple of hundred dollars.

Er, not so fast.

Reporters calling Google's public relations staff about the rumor were
told it is "wholly inaccurate." Similarly, Wal-Mart's rather busy PR
team classified the Times speculation as "a rumor without any truth to
it at all."

John Roach
Information Technology
Easter Seals Iowa
(515) 309-1780

This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this
electronic transmission contain confidential information belonging to
the sender. This information may be legally privileged. The information
is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If
disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in
reliance on or regarding the contents of this electronically transmitted
information is strictly prohibited.