[Cialug] HP printer using HPLIP

Kendall Bailey krbailey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 11:27:45 CST 2006

I've installed a new all-in-one HP psc1610 on a Debian testing box.  I
installed the HPLIP stuff manually from source using the directions at
   http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php
It all went very smooth.  The printer functions all work from OO.o and
Firefox.  The gnome-photo-printer fails to print though (sorry I don't
have the error message right now)... but the big issue is the
hp-toolbox says it can not detect the printer at all.  CUPS is happy
and shows
   Location: home
   Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
   Device URI: usb://5740?serial=MY5ACF23WKL0

but hp-toolbox says I need to set up the printer in CUPS and then just
quits.  Anyone have experience with HPLIP and hp-toolbox?  I bought
this for my Mom hoping HP's rep for supporting their printers on Linux
would make the install fairly painless.  Any advice?

The printer has a xD card reader, and works as a USB mass storage
device.  What's the easiest mount/umount tools to give a novice user
so they can access the  USB storage as if it were a floppy disk-like
thing?

Kendall