[Cialug] Meeting tonight: Location

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Wed Feb 15 10:47:06 CST 2006

So, what's the topic this month (besides elections, which is business)?
If there is interest I'd be willing to do a bit of talking about
SecondLife.
http://secondlife.com
I know, I know, I've been sneaking in refs for a while now, but here's
some of the reasons I think it's relevant to the lug:

1. There is now a publicly available linux client (officially in alpha,
went smooth enough they went to public).
2. As before, the world of SL is run on a massive network of Linux
machines.
3. It's also a development platform (of sorts) with a built-in
scripting language (which at some point they're supposed to supplant w/
mono)
4. Another (future) development is an embedded Mozilla engine which has
spawned an OSS project "uBrowser" and Linden labs have put up a fairly
serious bounty for whoever fixes several nagging stopper bugs in the
OSS code. Moz hackers out there? http://ubrowser.com/

I think it might be good fun to see if the linux client will install
and run OK on a linux box (volunteers?)

Bryan Baker
Technology Advocate
Iowa Legal Aid