[Cialug] Sun + Linux

John.Lengeling at radisys.com John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Tue Feb 14 17:20:07 CST 2006

Okay, I will ask a stupid question....Why not just run Solaris?  It runs
100% without problems.

johnl

"Lee" <leeh at csi-rics.com>
Sent by: cialug-bounces at cialug.org
02/14/2006 04:53 PM
Please respond to
Central Iowa Linux Users Group <cialug at cialug.org>

"Central Iowa Linux Users Group" <cialug at cialug.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Cialug] Sun + Linux

Aaron Porter wrote:

> On 2/14/06, *Nathan C. Smith* <smith at ipmvs.com
> <mailto:smith at ipmvs.com>> wrote:
>
>     I don't have any personal experience with it, but I know somebody
>     who is
>     running it on a 4-way opteron machine.  He's ga-ga over Sun so I
>     don't know
>     if his opinion would count though.
>

> Linux on Sun Opterons is pretty straight forward. Though if you're
> looking at the v20z or the v40z a few googles for Newisys will turn up
> the same hardware at substantially lower prices. What I'd be more
> interested in is Linux on some of the SMP Sparc boxes. We've done some
> Debian on Blade 100 and Blade 150 boxes with pretty miserable results.
> Shame. I ran RedHat on an Sparc IPX for way too many years.

Which is along the lines of what I had in mind. I'm looking at running a
8 way Enterprise 3500. It appears that people have used Debian for these
with good results. I'm just looking for a personal perspective.