[Cialug] Sun + Linux

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 16:33:01 CST 2006

On 2/14/06, Nathan C. Smith <smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> I don't have any personal experience with it, but I know somebody who is
> running it on a 4-way opteron machine.  He's ga-ga over Sun so I don't
> know
> if his opinion would count though.

Linux on Sun Opterons is pretty straight forward. Though if you're looking
at the v20z or the v40z a few googles for Newisys will turn up the same
hardware at substantially lower prices. What I'd be more interested in is
Linux on some of the SMP Sparc boxes. We've done some Debian on Blade 100
and Blade 150 boxes with pretty miserable results. Shame. I ran RedHat on an
Sparc IPX for way too many years.