[Cialug] Monitors

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Tue Feb 7 11:12:05 CST 2006

Here's what I don't understand about the device: If what's coming out of
my vga port is 1024x768, and what is being displayed is twice that,
where are the extra pixels coming from, and how "lossy" is the image
that is being displayed?

Or if you can't output a certain really high resolution are you hosed?
It really doesn't say on the sales pitch for the device.

Does it have some kind of device driver that tricks windows into
displaying a higher resolution and then grabs that from the OS and
throws it out the vga port? If so, is it slow since the vid card is not
doing the processing?

:) Dave

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:42, David Champion wrote:
> Dan J. sent me this link a while back for a similar device...
>
> http://www.digitaltigers.com/sidecar.shtml
>
> I wonder how the performance is on these things.
>
> -dc
>
> Rob Miller wrote:
> > In my previous job, I used dual Dell monitors supported by a Matrox card.
> > That was with Win2k OS.  Just googled Matrox and found a cool box that lets
> > you run two monitors from your laptop.  Check it out -
> >
> > http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offhome/dh2go/home.cfm
> >
> > Rob Miller
> >

> > On 2/6/06, Chris Hilton <chris129 at cs.iastate.edu> wrote:
> >
> >>Dual heads is simple if you have a good (read nvidia) card.  Although,
> >>I've
> >>heard some cards don't support TwinView.  So, you might want to check with
> >>buddy before you grab a specific card!  I believe it was one of the 6800's
> >>heard didn't support TwinView yet.
> >>
> >>Actually, in ATI's defense, I've helped setup dual head on an ATI and it
> >>wasn't bad; they actually have an amazing script for it.  It's getting
> >>everything else to work with ATI that's hard.

> >>http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/31/do_you_want_a_16_9_lcd_monitor_now

> >>displays

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606