[Cialug] Monitors

David Stout ragbrai65 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 08:51:45 CST 2006

That's very cool. What's the price tag on this?

Rob Miller <robarooney at gmail.com> wrote:    In my previous job, I used dual Dell monitors supported by a Matrox card.  That was with Win2k OS.  Just googled Matrox and found a cool box that lets you run two monitors from your laptop.  Check it out -

  http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offhome/dh2go/home.cfm

  Rob Miller

  On 2/6/06, Chris Hilton <chris129 at cs.iastate.edu> wrote:   Dual heads is simple if you have a good (read nvidia) card.  Although, I've
heard some cards don't support TwinView.  So, you might want to check with a
buddy before you grab a specific card!  I believe it was one of the 6800's I
heard didn't support TwinView yet.

Actually, in ATI's defense, I've helped setup dual head on an ATI and it
wasn't bad; they actually have an amazing script for it.  It's getting
everything else to work with ATI that's hard.

On Monday 06 February 2006 10:59, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> For me, its not about movies and gaming -for that I use XP on a
> widescreen Inspiron (ya,ya I know). But if I had a 20in or 24 inch, I
> would have enough pixel real estate that I could use it like a dual head
> display. For me, that's really productive, as I constantly switch back
> and forth between windows and desktops.
>
> Anyway, I think we are at the price point were it is about the same cost
> to use a pair of 17 displays, comnpared to a 20, but the 20in is a good
> compromise, with a simpler setup (on linux) and a lot higher "cool"
> factor...
>
> On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 10:18, David Champion wrote:
> > You may want to read this article before you buy...
> >
> > http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/31/do_you_want_a_16_9_lcd_monitor_now
> >/
> >
> > -dc
> >
> > Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> > > My Bro-in-law was showing me his Dell Ultra Sharp 20, and its a
> > > *really* nice monitor... Its soo tough to buy LCD's, since two displays
> > > can have the same specs and look totally differant...
> > >
> > > <Struggling to not call dell and order one...>

David Stout
Systems Programmer
Regency Homes