[Cialug] Serial Cards

Matt Patterson matt at usrlocal.com
Fri Dec 29 00:24:54 CST 2006

Sorry, left out some specs...the machine is an IBM x306 which comes with
1 serial port standard.   This server's main task in life is to be a
launching point to connect to just about any subnet on our network.  So
there are a lot of tools in place for network testing.  There are also
some dial out tests which require modems.  So the serial card will have a
modem hanging off of each port.  The current box that the 306 will replace
is a 3U box which is 5-6 years old and needs to be retired.  The 306 is a
1U box so moving the existing serial cards over will not give us the
capacity that we need.

-Matt