[Cialug] Partitioning schemes

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 11:36:03 CST 2006

On 12/22/06, Marc Read <marcread at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the site and looking forward to the meeting in January,
> anyway I have been using Linux for a while and recently been courious about
> diffrent partitioning schems that people are using when setting up a Linux
> Box.  When setting up a desktop i have just used a big / partiong and then a
> swap.

The only partitions I find useful are /, swap, /boot maybe, and /home
if it's a desktop or you're hosting websites (your website's files
would replace /home if it's a single site webserver).  Use LVM.  Don't
worry too much about partitions.  It's very easy to make your life
difficult if you micro-manage partitioning.  You'll suddenly find
yourself needing more room in /var/www, for example, when you've got
lots and lots of room somewhere else.  Or you'll discover that you're
not really generating enough logs to fill whatever you've given to
your log area.

There may be some benefit to manipulating partitioning when you've
gained enough experience to know how much space you need for
everything for the project at hand.  But until those many years have
passed, it's better to go with less partitions and less hassle.

-todd