[Cialug] Partitioning schemes

Marc Read marcread at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 23:19:37 CST 2006

Hi, I'm new to the site and looking forward to the meeting in January,
anyway I have been using Linux for a while and recently been courious about
diffrent partitioning schems that people are using when setting up a Linux
Box.  When setting up a desktop i have just used a big / partiong and then a
swap.

I'm setting up a little "test" server at my house with a old 1ghz machine
and wanted it to be semi-professonlay set up (unlike the lazy 2 partion
deskop setup).  this box would provide FTP, web, and mysql services.

Here are my thoughts

/ - 1gig
/var/log - 1gig
/var/www - 5gig (but not real sure)
/var/ftp - 5gig
/usr/home - 10 gig (not sure if this should be /home)

I have also heard some talk about using /srv as the http, and ftp directorys

I wanted to get some other peoples thoughts and advise on what has worked in
the past and any problems they have run into.  This would be running CentOS
4.3