[Cialug] Text editor

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Dec 21 10:18:36 CST 2006

It is plain emacs. I'm under the (possibly mistaken) impression that
modern versions of emacs don't need mule since it has been integrated.
I'm using version 21.4 installed as part of Debian Etch. There doesn't
seem to be a separate emacs-mule package. Here's what the apt-cache
search commands find on my system:

$ apt-cache search japan | grep editor
ipe - drawing editor for creating figures in PDF or PS formats
qgo - Go client and full featured SGF editor
xemacs21-gnome-mule - highly customizable text editor -- Mule binary
xemacs21-mule - highly customizable text editor -- Mule binary
$ apt-cache search utf-8 | grep editor
gedit - light-weight text editor
gedit-dev - light-weight text editor
geresh - A simple multilingual text editor with utf-8 & bidi support
mousepad - simple Xfce oriented text editor
ne - Nice Editor, an easy-to-use and powerful editor
poedit - cross-platform gettext catalog editor

Perhaps i should try xemacs; i expect it would be quite similar to what
i am used to. I've never used xemacs, but my understanding is that it
is just a fork of emacs. I don't know why there needs to be 2 variants
of emacs floating around, but if it works i won't complain.