[Cialug] Soyo k7vme / VIA 8233 audio not working on Ubuntu 6.06

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Dec 12 20:26:53 CST 2006

Sorry, I described the solution incorrectly in my earlier email.

Now that I'm at my laptop, I can check my notes.

My problems occured on Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS when I upgraded to the 686
kernel, sound stopped working.

To solve it, I edited /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem, and uncommented
the "blacklist snd-via82xx-modem" line.  After a restart, sound worked
everywhere but in Firefox.

To solve the firefox problem, I edited /etc/firefox/firefoxrc and
changed
'FIREFOX_DSP="none"' to 'FIREFOX_DSP="aoss"'

Since I restarted Firefox, I've had no further sound problems.

Hope this helps,

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701
>>> Matthew Nuzum <matthew.nuzum at canonical.com> 12/12/06 8:02 PM >>>
You should file bugs at launchpad.net... we're always looking for people
who can report the problem intelligibly and are competent enough to help
qa people diagnose problem.

Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode