[Cialug] JavaScript

carl-olsen at mchsi.com carl-olsen at mchsi.com
Mon Dec 11 09:16:08 CST 2006

The class is CS010.  The book uses Java, but the instructor skips those chapters and substitutes JavaScript for the programming language.  The book goes over Java in about 100 pages and goes into OOP in quite a bit of depth.  I had no trouble understanding it, but I've already learned OOP using C#.  Java is almost identical to C#, at least at that level.  I can see why he is using JavaScript, because he is giving the examples using a simple text editor (nothing fancy) and it runs in just about any web browser.  I'm just taking it as an opportunity to make the examples more complex by adding in Array.prototype methods.  If I'm going to spend time using JavaScript, I want to get the most out of it.  As I mentioned, I'm doing quite a bit of JavaScript right now using Google Maps.  I've never had much use for JavaScript before, but now with all the AJAX stuff coming out it seems like its time to focus on it.

From: "Daniel A. Ramaley" <daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU>