[Cialug] CVS for web projects

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Thu Aug 24 09:27:57 CDT 2006

Dave Weis wrote:

> I have a client that wants to use version control to keep a copy of
> their site every time it's rsync'ed out to the live servers. I have it
> figured out except for adding new files automatically to the repository.
> I don't want a manual process to add files because it won't happen
> consistently and there may be a lot of them added at any time.
>
> Any good ideas? I was hoping not to have to parse the CVS output of the
> commit and look for ? and add them separately.

You can set up Subversion & WebDAV to do automatic commits every time a
file is saved. Your version numbers ramp up really fast if you're doing
this in a dev environment, but it's idiot proof.

You could set it up so the live site is a seperate repository, with the
auto check in on that, so every time the files are uploaded to the live
site, that's a version #.

RTFM:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

The chapter on auto versioning...