[Cialug] press release

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Sun Aug 20 11:23:42 CDT 2006

Personally, I like Sony Vaios, but if you've ruled out Mac, I assume
that the price limit you've set would rule out Sony as well.

My company has a partnership with Equus, a "white box" distributer.

They currently have one laptop with NVidia in it, details are here:
 http://www.equuscs.com/salesTools/sheets/3243_N5014.pdf

I do not know, personally, how well it supports Linux, but the only
problems I've had with these laptops in the past was with Intel 915
support, which is not on this laptop.

A nice thing about using Equus, is that they are willing to sell
the laptops naked, so you don't have to pay the MS tax.

The other nice thing are their warranties.  We use these at work
and for clients, and always get the "no fault" warranty (~ $280).
I've never had a problem that they didn't take care of without
question.  I don't know how much of a concern this is for you.

Base price of the laptop is around $1300.  If you are interested,
give me a call, and we can configure it and nail down what it would
cost with options.

(As an aside, they also have some nice mil-spec "ruggedized" laptops.
Not as tough as the Toughbook, but a lot cheaper.  No NVidia though.)

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Kevin C. Smith" <kevin at linuxsmith.com> 08/19/06 8:27 PM >>>
I had said during the meeting I would finish the press release today.
Well, ah.....My laptop just fried. So, I'm delayed. Built in Video got
hosed. I wasn't super happy with this one anyway.

Any suggestions for a good linux laptop with NVidia Video Card, guess
I'm
shopping for a new one now. I like to do a little gaming on it, so has
have some power. Desktop replacement type. I'm considering the Dell XPS
now.
Just ruled out Apple (maybe next time), Lenevo, and Toshiba.

Speaking of Apple. Did anyone get Ubuntu on the macbook pro yet? Is
the
sound working? And do they still have heat issues? I don't think I
will
reconsider but it's always possible.

Stay tuned for a really good sale on Toshiba parts ;)

--
Kevin C. Smith