[Cialug] Remote Access

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 17:38:12 CDT 2006

On 8/14/06, David Stout <ragbrai65 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well I am able to SSH in and can get a terminal window. The problem was that
> outgoing port 22 was blocked here at work. Thank you to everyone who
> responded.
> I do have another question in regard to this can I tunnel vnc though SSH? if
> so where would I find documentation on doing that.

The short answer:

1) In an xterm on the local machine, type the following:
  ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 username at ssh.server.com
2) In another xterm on the local machine (the first is now connected
to the remote side, so don't use it):
  vncviewer localhost

The long answer:
Well, that's beyond the scope of this e-mail message, so bring your
questions to the CIALUG meeting, if you can attend.  If not, then
study up on ssh.  The man page is very, very useful, but there are
also very good resources such as the one Dave Champion pointed out.