[Cialug] Remote Access

Don Cady donc5 at mchsi.com
Mon Aug 14 14:03:17 CDT 2006

a. Do you have any unusual filters or firewall rules on the suse box that
would block anything from the outside it's not expecting, yet still allow
traffic from your local subnet?

b. The port isn't really (or fully) getting forwarded. Some routers have
bugs in software/firmware, some can't handle doing too many of their
functions/features at the same time, and some are worded so you think
they'll behave differently than they really do. Could you do a small port
scan your outside IP from the outside (yourself, or one of those sites
that'll do it) to see what's really open from the outside?

Don