[Cialug] Remote Access

David Stout ragbrai65 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 08:06:51 CDT 2006

I can SSH in to the SuSe box from Win on my local network but not from outside. I
  have my router set to forward port 23. I cannot figrue out what else it could be. Does anyone have any ideas.

Brandon Griffis <brandongriffis at gmail.com> wrote:
  Sorry if this has already been answered.  I scanned through the emails and didn't see a response.

Is sshd (the secure shell server daemon) running on the server you are trying to connect to?

To check you can run the command:

ps -A | grep sshd

You should get an output similar to this:

myuser at mymachine ~ $ ps -A | grep sshd
 6869 ?        00:00:00 sshd
24780 ?        00:00:00 sshd
24786 ?        00:00:00 sshd
myuser at mymachine ~ $

If you do please try to connect to the server using SSH on your server's LAN.

If you can do that then we know it's a problem with the external connection (port forwarding, IP address...)

If you can't then we know it's an installation/configuration problem.

Thanks,
Gamble