[Cialug] Text to speech

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Aug 9 17:54:02 CDT 2006

Check out  http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

It works pretty well, but if you want natural-sounding speech, you need
to use alternate voice files.

Festival is also available as rpms/debs for the more common distros.

As an aside, does anyone here have familiarity with the reverse?
Speech to Text?  I'm looking for solutions that will run on Linux.  For
this application, non-open source is acceptable, but not preferred.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Chris Lanpher <chris at wearybee.com> 08/09/06 5:50 PM >>>
I am trying to set up a text to speech machine for a mostly blind
nephew. I was trying to set up a
desktop system similar to what Jaws for windows does. Anyone here have

any guidance or suggestions
on where I might look?
Thanks
Chris