[Cialug] Remote Access

David Stout ragbrai65 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 09:04:11 CDT 2006

I am using Mediacom at home. I can RDP from win at work to win at home.
  I have not tried ssh at home. From work I am using putty and then for the protocol I am selecting SSH. When I do SSH it say connection refused.

"Daniel A. Ramaley" <daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU> wrote:
  Please don't use telnet. It is good as a diagnostic tool (telnetting to
port 80 of a web server, or 25 of an SMTP server), but not for logins.
Well, it is OK for logins if your intention is to let the world know
your password. That's generally not recommended, however.

This question is on the order of "Is it plugged in?", so please don't be
offended if it seems silly...
Is SSH actually running on the Linux box? Can you connect to the Linux
box with SSH from another machine at home?

The next possibility: What ISP are you using? Do they block inbound SSH?

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 08:35, David Stout wrote:
>Sorry to keep beating this thread to death but I am still have
> trouble.
>
> I have port 19-23 forwarded on my router. I went to dyndns and set
> up a dns. I can ping the ip remotely (from work) but when I try to do
> a TELNET session I get a connect failed message. I also have putty
> installed on my win box at work and when I try ssh or telnet from the
> win box I get Unable to open connection: connect(); unknown error.
>
>"Daniel A. Ramaley" wrote:
> What type of access do you need? A terminal window, or a full X
> session, or something else? For just a terminal window, i'd recommend
>downloading PuTTY (Google for "putty" and it should be in the first 2
>hits) and using it to SSH to your Linux box. You'll need to make sure
>your Linux box has a routable IP, or forward the SSH port (TCP/22)
> from a routable IP to the Linux box.
>
>X is a bit more complicated; i've never needed to go from MS Windows
> to X Windows. There are projects such as Cygwin that will let you set
> up an X server on Windows and then from there you'd be able to
> connect to the Linux box and run applications. A possibly easier
> solution would be to run VNC on the Linux box and then connect from
> Windows with a VNC viewer. I've done that before, though with Linux
> or OS X as the client rather than Windows. It gives you a full
> desktop, and is much more responsive than X over SSH. To use VNC to
> go from one Linux box to another, get SSH working, then on the server
> do "vncserver :2 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 8" and on the client
> "vncviewer -via
>localhost:1". When done you can stop the server with "vncserver
>-kill :1" on the server. I would think that using Windows as the
> client would be similar, though the client command may differ
> slightly.
>
>On Tuesday 08 August 2006 08:01, David Stout wrote:
>>I would like to access my Linux box from work. At home I am running
>> SuSe 10.1 with a linksys router. At work I am on Win XP Pro. What is
>> the best way to accomplish this. Do I need to forward any ports?
>>
>>David Stout
>>Systems Programmer
>>Regency Homes

>> Next-gen email? Have it all with the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

David Stout
Systems Programmer
Regency Homes