[Cialug] Remote Access

David Stout ragbrai65 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 08:35:16 CDT 2006

Sorry to keep beating this thread to death but I am still have trouble.

  I have port 19-23 forwarded on my router. I went to dyndns and set up a dns. I can ping the ip remotely (from work) but when I try to do a TELNET session I get a connect failed message. I also have putty installed on my win box at work and when I try ssh or telnet from the win box I get Unable to open connection: connect(); unknown error.

"Daniel A. Ramaley" <daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU> wrote:
  What type of access do you need? A terminal window, or a full X session,
or something else? For just a terminal window, i'd recommend
downloading PuTTY (Google for "putty" and it should be in the first 2
hits) and using it to SSH to your Linux box. You'll need to make sure
your Linux box has a routable IP, or forward the SSH port (TCP/22) from
a routable IP to the Linux box.

X is a bit more complicated; i've never needed to go from MS Windows to
X Windows. There are projects such as Cygwin that will let you set up
an X server on Windows and then from there you'd be able to connect to
the Linux box and run applications. A possibly easier solution would be
to run VNC on the Linux box and then connect from Windows with a VNC
viewer. I've done that before, though with Linux or OS X as the client
rather than Windows. It gives you a full desktop, and is much more
responsive than X over SSH. To use VNC to go from one Linux box to
another, get SSH working, then on the server do "vncserver :2 -geometry
1024x768 -depth 8" and on the client "vncviewer -via
localhost:1". When done you can stop the server with "vncserver
-kill :1" on the server. I would think that using Windows as the client
would be similar, though the client command may differ slightly.

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 08:01, David Stout wrote:
>I would like to access my Linux box from work. At home I am running
> SuSe 10.1 with a linksys router. At work I am on Win XP Pro. What is
> the best way to accomplish this. Do I need to forward any ports?
>
>David Stout
>Systems Programmer
>Regency Homes

David Stout