[Cialug] chkrootkit compile

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Thu Apr 27 11:04:06 CDT 2006

It was trying to staticly link then instead of a normal dynamic link.
Probably a good idea considering what the program is for. That way if
someone trojans the C library it won't affect your program.

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, David Champion wrote:

> I did have glibc-devel, but not glibc-static-devel. Installed that, and it
> worked.
>
> Thanks for the nudge in the right direction...
>
> -dc
>
> Dave Weis wrote:
>>
>> Make sure you have glibc-devel installed
>>
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, David Champion wrote:
>>
>>> Trying to compile chkrootkit-0.46a on a Mandriva 2006 box, it's
>>> complaining about "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc". Any ideas? Here's the
>>> full transcript (after a "make clean") ...
>>>
>>> # make sense
>>> gcc -DHAVE_LASTLOG_H -o chklastlog chklastlog.c
>>> gcc -DHAVE_LASTLOG_H -o chkwtmp chkwtmp.c
>>> chkwtmp.c: In function 'main':
>>> chkwtmp.c:95: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
>>> function 'exit'
>>> gcc -DHAVE_LASTLOG_H   -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -o ifpromisc ifpromisc.c
>>> gcc  -o chkproc chkproc.c
>>> chkproc.c: In function 'main':
>>> chkproc.c:230: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
>>> function 'strcpy'
>>> gcc  -o chkdirs chkdirs.c
>>> gcc  -o check_wtmpx check_wtmpx.c
>>> gcc -static  -o strings-static strings.c
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>> make: *** [strings-static] Error 1

Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent
                       encroachments of those in power than by violent
                       and sudden usurpations."- James Madison