[Cialug] DSL v. Cable (Ankeny)

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Thu Apr 13 11:00:48 CDT 2006

I had to unplug and plugin my cable modem again last night.  I've had lots
of little outages with Mediacom.  Frankly, the little outages are worse than
a major one.  It gets frustrating to go to a page and it loads fine, only to
click a link on the page and you get a timeout error.  Last night, GMail
actually reported a corrupt page to me.  I'm guessing during the transfer,
the javascript client didn't get everything it was expecting so it reported
corruption, and I couldn't do anything until I did a reload of the page.  I
can't trust Mediacom with my internet service, and they want me to trust
them with my phone service?  Seriously?  And now they're rolling out 10Mb
service?  C'mon, shouldn't you have rock-solid service before adding new
services?

On 4/13/06, Carl Olsen <carl-olsen at mchsi.com> wrote:

> Qwest offers DSL in my area (Saylorville Township), but only for home use.
> They don't have anything equivalent to the service I get from
> Mediacom.  All
> I can say is that I rarely experience any interruption in service.  It's
> been at least 6 months or longer since I had an interruption and that was
> only for a couple of hours.
>
> Carl

Tim