[Cialug] Linux version

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Apr 4 15:12:46 CDT 2006

I used to be a Redhat, Fedora, CentOS kind of guy, but I'm switching over to
be more Ubuntu/Debian.  The Ubuntu and Kubuntu (for KDE) distributions are
very nice.  Fedora will load too much stuff on your laptop so you will have
to cut stuff down to make it perform better (if that is a concern).  Debian
runs lean and (IMHO) ubuntu is a good compromise.

Certainly Others in the group will point out the merits of Mandriva and
Suse.

Whatever you get used to is what you will come to prefer.  Mandriva or
Kubuntu will probably come closest to Knoppix.  Debian with KDE is also
similar but much more spartan.

-Nate