[Cialug] [OT] DB2

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Sep 21 16:54:34 CDT 2005

Like I said in my post: drop any constraints, rename the table, create
a new version with the new column(s), copy the data over from the old,
then drop the old table.  Same amount of steps (fewer if there aren't
any constraints), but only one create, and only one loading of data.
Should run faster too.

On 9/21/05, David Stout <address removed by user> wrote:
> You are correct. That is the way we have to do it as well. I figured I would
> use a temp table.
>

> Claus <address removed by user> wrote:
> At my work the DB2 gurus require us to drop/create a table in order to
> remove a column. Not sure if it's due to a technical or political
> reason. But in either case it's quite simple to do so. Of course you
> have unload the data before the drop and to reformat the data before
>
> Claus
>

> David Stout
> BTS Billing Team
> Data Repository & Reports