[Cialug] Linux on Laptop

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Thu Sep 15 10:46:13 CDT 2005

frankie wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>     Just got hold of a IBM Thinkpad 390X and am deciding what to put  on
> it. I have to put Win2K on it for work and school, but II have the  back
> half of a 20 Gb drive to install Linux on. Looks like parts are  pretty
> common, nothing exotic. Any suggestions on which distro is  going to
> work best? Thanks!
>
> Irv Robison
> IRVNET
> Netphone: 515-309-1951
> Cell: 515-720-7618
> frankie at raccoon.com
> www.irvnet.us

I'm running Mandriva 2005 LE on a couple of laptops - a Dell Inspiron
9000 and an IBM Thinkpad 600e.

Everything works fine on the Thinkpad (when I can get the hardware
working, but that's another story) except the sound - which is
apparantly due to a munged up chipset on that model.

Mandriva has some nice features for laptops - including a wireless
network tool.

-dc