[Cialug] wireless PCI adapter

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon Sep 12 11:21:01 CDT 2005

There may be another option.  DLink has a device that looks like it
can act as an ethernet bridge.  It appears to be cheaper than some of
the other ethernet bridges typically sold for XBox/PS2 game systems.
The device is called an AirPlus G DWL-G730AP.  It can act as a router,
an access point, or a client.  You choose which one via a switch on
the bottom.  A couple people at work have them, and they like them,
but they're not using them as bridges.  The user's guide makes it look
like it can act as an ethernet bridge, but without trying it, I don't
know for sure.  Here's a link to the product at CompUSA:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332969&pfp=SEARCH

On 9/12/05, Nathan C. Smith <smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> My experience has also been that the antenna is affected by the case.  Some
> manufacturers actually extend the antennae with a short length of cable.
> This could either help, or cause as much loss in the cable as the case does
> on a directly attached antenna behind the case.
>
> If it is a permanent installation (not switching ssids much) I might try
> using one of the adapters sold as a game adapter.  They are
> web-configurable, and convert wi-fi to ethernet.  They are overpriced.
>
> FWIW, most pci adapters are just pc-card (PCMCIA?) adapters permamanently
> mounted on a card.
>
> USB adapters can be a challenge with Linux.
>
> -Nate

Tim