[Cialug] Graphics card

Renegade Muskrat dramaley at spatulacity.cx
Tue Sep 6 23:27:31 CDT 2005

Thanks everyone for the replies. The graphics card was an ATI Radeon
X300. Today i got it working. In case anyone is curious, this page
contains all the information (and Debian packages) necessary to make it
work:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html

Unfortunately, the drivers are not Free. <sigh> I'm thinking of
building a new home machine soon (my current one is about 7 years old;
amazing how long Linux can keep old hardware useable). Are there any
modern graphics cards with 3D acceleration that have open source
drivers? ATI and Nvidia are the main companies, correct? But if i
understand the current market correctly, they only have proprietary
closed drivers.

At 05:31 PM 9/2/2005 -0500, you wrote:
 >Does anyone know what graphics that a Dell OptiPlex GX280 has? The
 >system service tag is 2TCCZ61, if anyone knows how to get a hardware
 >spec sheet from that i would be most grateful. The graphics are
 >provided by an expansion card that came installed in the machine by
 >Dell (i didn't see any obvious manufacturer names on the card). I'm
 >trying to get Debian set up on this machine but don't know which X
 >video driver to use. Knoppix 3.9 uses "vesa"; but i'm sure this
machine
 >can do better than that. Any ideas on how to find out what this thing

 >uses?
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233