[Cialug] laptop security cables

dave at visionary.com dave at visionary.com
Sun Sep 4 12:03:54 CDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 3, 2005, "n.d" <admin at c0wzftp.com> said:

> anyone know if there is a difference from one laptop security cable and
> another? trying to decide whether it would would be a good investment?
> and if it is, what should i look into when i get one?

I'd go with a "name brand". The cylinder shaped key locks can (or could...
people may have updated designs) with a bic pen. Combo locks can be
picked.

Some devices can have their security slot ripped out by brute force,
because the metal used is too thin.

Either way, IMHO they should be looked at as a speed bump to a laptop
theif, and not as absolute security.

-dc