[Cialug] voting think tank comment

Jeff Davis jeff at dynamictelecard.com
Fri Sep 2 08:39:58 CDT 2005

It depends on how accurate and tamper-proof you need it to be.

A while back there was thread on one of
securityfocus mailing lists on this topic.

Some of the problems/issues were:
  One of the biggest issues was that if
  you have 1 machine running a program that
  just displays the ballot and keeps a count
  of the votes, there is no paper trail to
  verify the results.  There are many scenarios
  where a verifiable paper trail is needed.

  The software needs to be open source for
  several reasons, including ensuring that
  the software developers didn't add in any
  mechanisms for altering the vote count.

  There needs to be a process in place to verify just prior
  to voting that neither the hardware nor software has
  been compromised.

  You'll need at least a UPS and possibly a generator.

  How will you handle a hardware failure?

  Physical security:
   If you have more than one machine in the set up, then
   you have introduced a network connection which brings
   the possibility of the vote being compromised.

   How is the actual vote recorded? Via touch screen?
   You don't want a voter alone in a booth with your
   voting machine, a mouse, and keyboard.

-Jeff